Working from home may sound exciting. However, in a few days, it turns into boredom, productivity falls, and a feeling of isolation starts weighing on the mind. Remote work has become mandatory once again as the second wave of the contagion has already started. In this crucial time, eliminating the drawbacks of working from home may look challenging. However, with a few tips in mind, you can create an inspiring workspace in your home, boost productivity, and stay motivated to work hard.
So, let us learn how to do it!
Appease Your Senses
For boosting the productivity game, you need to work on your five senses. Sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound play a big role in shaping your mind. Bring your office home with the below-mentioned 5 senses tips:
Make sure that you get a good view of your workspace. Close to nature workplaces are always ideal for keeping your mind fresh. However, make sure that outside window activities do not disturb you.
The air freshener used at your home might remind you of the great family time. So, try using the same perfume that you use while going to an office. Similarly, do not light up the candle that you often use for relaxing.
Do not disrupt your routine of enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning. Also, have the same snacks that are served at the office.
Comfort is mandatory for productivity. Make sure that the chair lets you sit in an upright position. Similarly, set the desk at an appropriate position. If you want to take some yoga breaks, keep an exercise ball in your workspace.
Tune in to some energetic music to bring your mind into work mode. You can also change your playlist. However, be sure not to select the soundtracks you use for relaxing and comfort.
Give Special Attention to Location
Just like buying a new house, setting up a new workspace requires a perfect location. You need to keep a few points in mind when deciding space for the home office:
- Select a space where closing a door is not a problem. Shutting down the door is essential to kick-off distractions. Besides this, it keeps a boundary between workspace and home. After completing your work hours, you can easily close the door and set your mind for relaxation.
- Just like you have a short walk to the cafeteria, try roaming around the house in your break time. Thus, set your workspace in a way from where you can change location easily.
- Be sure that your work area is no way near to the kitchen or bedroom. The aroma of delicious food and a comfortable appeal coming from the couches and bed is enough for distractions.
- You need to set the location more smartly if you have kids at home. In this case, you cannot keep your workspace completely disconnected. Try to set up an area that is connected but separated from the kid’s play area. Put creativity in designing the space that boosts productivity for both kids and work. For instance, planning some self-doing activities for kids and setting up the material. Hiring a home tutor for activity-based learning is also a good idea.
Show Off Your Creativity
Since you are planning to work in an entirely new setup, it’s time to put your creativity into practice. Follow the below-mentioned tips:
- Are you missing the colorfully painted walls? Take out some time and paint a canvas. Show some creativity and make your work area lively. Boring workspaces never boost productivity. You will enjoy working in an area decorated with your skills. For instance, if you are working for a cleaning firm, decorate the walls with some modern designs of painted carpets. Similarly, you can draw nature-inspired designs, antique buildings, and so on.
- If you are planning to give your best shot sitting in a cluttered room, you are making a big mistake. Having a laptop and a few technical skills are not enough to get the desired outcomes. Focus is what matters the most. Clear all the clutter from your workspace and make it look neat. Look for the best interior design ideas and let your work desk have a design that boosts productivity.
- You may also set up a vision board on one of your walls to inspire you and increase productivity. You can use chalk paint on your wall for a DIY vision board.
Other Home Workspace Essentials
Even if you have set up a designated space for working from home, filled it with creativity, and removed all possible distractions, working smoothly may not be possible without a few essentials. Let us see what they are:
1. High-Speed Internet Connection
In remote work, you are likely to use the internet connection already connected to your home. Other members of the family are using the same connection. This might disrupt the speed and interrupt zoom meetings. Therefore, make sure that you have a separate internet connection. However, you may also upgrade the present connection with a better speed.
2. Good Working Laptop and Headphones
While working on-site, you have a habit of using the best equipment, be it a laptop, printer, or headphones. Now, since you are working from home, you might not get high-quality gadgets like at work. Therefore, you must check everything before your first day of remote work. Getting stuck with a poor laptop or old headphones can disrupt productivity badly.
3. Virtual Breaks
Besides all technical factors, a big contributor to productivity is connectivity. Remote work might make you feel isolated. Therefore, have frequent virtual meetings. Replace the water cooler discussion with a zoom chit-chat, skype video-conferencing, and WhatsApp messaging. This connection with colleagues and friends will create a strong bond in your team. As a result, you will stay on the same page as other members of your team. Knowing other’s efforts, planning as a team, and sharing mutual goals play a big role in increasing productivity.
An Inspiring Home Workspace is Possible
Remote work is not free from obstacles. However, eliminating the drawbacks is possible with a few tactics. Creating a separate workspace, putting some creativity, removing distractions, maintaining a border between work and home life, and giving a professional feel to your home office is likely to enhance productivity in no time.
About the author:
Shoaib provides ghostwriting and copywriting services. His educational background in the technical field and business studies helps him in tackling topics ranging from career and business productivity to web development and digital marketing. He occasionally writes articles for carpet cleaning.
Set up a Home Workspace That Inspires Productivity
- Appease your senses
Sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound play a big role in shaping your mind.
- Give special attention to location
Setting up a new workspace requires a perfect location.
- Show off your creativity
Show some creativity and make your work area lively. Boring workspaces never boost productivity.
- Home essentials
Working smoothly may not be possible without high-speed Internet connection, good working laptop and headphones, and virtual breaks.